Friday, March 02, 2012

I'm happy

Maybe it's somewhat the morphine talking, but I do feel in a good mood right now.

I'll have more to post later complaining a bit about last night (which had a fair degree of suckiness), and other nitpicks I'm having with being in the hospital, but I think right now it would be nice to have a post that focuses on the positive.

First of all, thank you for the tremendous outpouring of emotional support from all of you (by blog, email, facebook, phone, and in person).  While I don't have the time to personally respond to each and every one of you, please do know that it means a lot to both me and Lorien how much kindness and caring and love we're receiving from our extended community.

And offers of support.  Lorien is coordinating babysitting help.  I think Alicia set something up for meals, but I can't locate it right now.  Lorien, can you elaborate?

I am up for seeing visitors starting tomorrow if anyone wants to stop by the hospital.  My only scheduled procedure tomorrow is an MRI, roughly between noon and 1pm, but I've come to learn how accurate hospital times are (not).  Please coordinate details with with Lorien.  I am officially immuno-compromised now as a result of the chemo, so I do make the following requests -- (1) Please wash your hands thoroughly immediately upon entering the room.  (2) If you are sick in any way, even a mild cold, please don't visit.

That being said, I have some very good potential news to report.  I spoke with my oncologist early this evening, and he thinks I'm doing very well (better than expected), and that there's a chance I might go home tomorrow.  I don't believe it, and my guess is Sunday is more likely, but nevertheless, it's good to hear.

He also said that the preliminary results from the bone marrow biopsy are, if I recall his wording correctly, "grossly negative" for cancer.  (That's good.)

Additionally, the side effects that I'm experiencing from the chemo are currently extremely minimal.  Yes, I know that that could change, but right now I'm taking one day at a time, and rejoicing with what I do have.

And finally, my overall level of well being is significantly improved.  I'm coughing much less, the chest pains are hugely decreased, the trouble breathing is hugely decreased, all the negative effects I was having after eating are hugely decreased, as is the pain in my right side.  I'm still way far from declaring the way I feel "normal", but compared to how horrible I was just a short time ago, it's a wonderful differential.

And while I won't be posting all the time exactly what I'm listening to like jg does (OMG I'm so happy I have the laptop loaded up with music), I thought the following lyrics from Leonard Cohen, which were playing when I decided I wanted to blog and what the title would be, are applicable.  This is from his new CD, "Old Ideas", which was a gift just sent by my sister-in-law Laura.  It's the refrain from the lead track, "Going Home":

   Going home without my sorrow
   Going home sometime tomorrow
   Going home to where it’s better than before

   Going home without my burden
   Going home behind the curtain
   Going home without this costume that I wore

2 comments:

Sadie Myles said...

So glad to hear that you're getting some immediate relief. Sorry we're too far away to help with food or Dylan-care, but we're thinking of you and sending well wishes your way.

Judy said...

Now you've done it, Rich. I have this need to go listen to Leonard Cohen's "Going Home". :-)