Thursday, March 01, 2012

Another semi-random (non-cancer) question

I have a pair of eye shades, pretty cheap, just something I bought at a drug store.  Useful when you're say trying to get some sleep in a hospital and lights keep going on and off.

The problem is they apply a bit of pressure against my eyes.  Not enough to be uncomfortable, but enough that when I wake up my vision is all blurry and it takes a while to stabilize.  (Which is why I'm typing this now in a huge font.)  Is there any way around this?  Are more expensive shades designed differently to take pressure off of the eyes?  (And if so, any suggestions for where to pick up a pair?  The Internet isn't very practical if I want them now.)   Or is this all just a consequence of aging -- whatever the condition is called that causes your eyes to stiffen up I believe and need reading glasses?

Gotta go get an EKG.  More later.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a random thought, did you ever use those little eye pillows in yoga? Would something like that work? I don't think they have straps, though, so I'm not sure how well one would stay put.

- Alice

Dorothy said...

I just have the cheap ones from the airlines and they never caused any problems when I took them off. Might be worth mentioning to the dr.

Laura Zinn Fromm said...

Are you using those nice cotton ones or the cheaper nylon ones? Also, is the elastic band too tight around your head? That can cause pressure on your eyes. We can send you some nice cotton ones!

Catrina said...

Rich - I learned this from an actual 90s riot grrl band member for bus touring, works wonders: drape a black t-shirt over your eyes! Simple and cheap. :)