Wednesday, June 28, 2006

gradually on our way back

Walked across the border back into Thailand today. We're now trying to book a train ticket back to Bangkok. Not having all that much luck right now. Their excuse is that the computer is down, but I'm a little suspicious of the somewhat professional looking, preprinted sign that indicates that the computer is down. Sounds like an excuse for a mid day siesta to me.

Not content to do activities separately, Lorien has decided to join me in having an ear infection. Although hers isn't quite as serious, possibly because we recognized it and started treating it earlier, having learned a bit from my experience. We spent about 5 hours or so in a hospital in Malaysia yesterday (stupidly we forgot to bring reading material) trying to get examined by someone. I wasn't too impressed with the people that we immediately saw -- one of the things I was asking for was a painkiller stronger than ibuprofin, so she was trying to give me Motrin. I didn't have much luck convincing her that Motrin is just a brand name for ibuprofin (like Tylenol is a brand name for acetominaphen). Anyway, we finally managed to see someone that I think was a real doctor, and was knowledgeable, and spoke decent English. And I think we've both turned the corner and are on our way to recovering.

Anyway, at the train station they told us to stop by again after noon (funny how they know just when they'll stop having computer problems?), and it's a few minutes past that now, so we probably ought to get back.

We'll try to post a bit more, and maybe some more pics, if we have the luck and manage to find our way back to Bangkok one of these days.

No comments: