Thursday, March 29, 2012

Music. Together.

Late yesterday afternoon, Lorien was out at the market, and I was home with just Dylan, who was napping.  The original plan was that I was going to head out to the market, but that was changed when I started to feel like crap.

Dylan is often pretty cranky when he wakes.  Yesterday was no exception.  And I really didn't have the energy for anything too intensive to try to calm him down.  So I picked him up from his crib and headed back out to the living room and sat down in the glider.  (How did we ever get by without one of these chairs?  It seems absolutely essential if you have a baby, but I think I might even recommend it for non-parents.)  Both jg and my sister-in-law Laura were kind enough to share some of their Music Together albums, so I put on one of the new ones that we hadn't yet listened to.  I suppose it might have been a coincidence, but as soon as the Hello song came on (all of the albums in the series start and end with the same two songs, although the little instrumental section is different), he stopped crying.  The two of us just sat there for a long time gliding, cuddling, and listening to the music.

At first it actually got me a little bit sad, because, as I mentioned before, we decided to skip the next few Music Together sessions.  And I really do enjoy it as a father/son activity.  And I was wondering if maybe my concerns about regularly being in a room full of little germ carriers might be overblown.

But ultimately, Dylan is exposed to plenty of music at home, and there's no reason that that can't continue.  He's got a ridiculous amount of instruments, even if sometimes his favorites are improvised ones, like the disposable metal pie tin that he turned into a drum.  And he often just dances around when music is on.  And I think he's even starting to develop a bit of a sense of rhythm.

Ok, now I really do need that chocolate break...

1 comment:

Judy said...

Your thoughts about little kids being the bearers of all sorts of germs are right on the mark. Some of the most cold-ridden people I know are elementary school teachers who are constantly exposed to younglings and their bugs. Discretion is the better part of valor.