Sunday, March 11, 2012

Grrr, and yawn, ....

A few observations based on owning a scale for a few days:

1) My weight varies significantly over the course of a day
2) I'm already obsessive about checking it

Maybe I won't be so obsessive once I finally bottom out, but today I observed a new record low, 123.8#.  I suppose it's all arbitrary and based on an antiquated system that nobody else uses, but still, dipping below 125# was a bit of a psychological disappointment.  Maybe I should console myself and reserve true panic for if I ever dip below 50 kg.  (I'm guessing we'd be talking about some serious medical intervention if I ever even got close to that.)

Nevertheless, I do wonder when I was last this light.  It's gotta be way back into high school.  But there's no way to know for sure.  A number of years back, when I was an adult, I called my old pediatrician's office to get a copy of my childhood medical records, only to be told that they had been destroyed.  Which kind of pissed me off.  My parents were (and still are) at the exact same address and phone number (modulo the 215 => 215/610 area code split) that they were for the entire 18 years that I was a patient there.  You'd think they could have made even the slightest effort to contact them before tossing all of the records.

Still not feeling all that great, mostly digestive issues.  Although last night, despite my observation about Sudoku, I had trouble sleeping.  I've been taking Ativan since getting out of the hospital, and last night it made me drowsy for a while, but then felt like it lost its effectiveness before I actually got to sleep.  It had been also somewhat less effective (but still eventually good enough), the night before.  I'm wondering whether I'm already developing a tolerance, or if it perhaps its just coincident with the stomach troubles.  I've occasionally taken Ambien in the past (usually for either jet lag, or sleeping at altitude), but never for more than a few days in a row.  So I'm not really sure.

And although there's kind of some stuff that I'd like to be getting done with my time at home, as Lorien keeps reminding me, I don't really need to be doing ANYTHING except for resting and recovering, not even blogging.  So if I just want to take some time in the middle of the afternoon and sleep (which I did today), that's perfectly okay.  Assuming that I can manage it with Dylan around.  Today coincided with Lorien taking him to the park, which helped.  Oh yeah, and thanks to Laura for the comfy eye shades -- they help too.

So things continue to be so so.  Not quite as rosy as it was last week, but I didn't really expect everything to be all great all of the time.  And frankly, if this is the worst that I experience, I should consider myself VERY lucky.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear it.

Erin

Judy said...

Forgo weighing yourself in the morning, since that's when you'll be at your lightest. Weigh yourself at night just before going to bed. You'll be at your heaviest after the last meal of the day.

dingdingwikki said...

Yes, I know that I'm likely to be lighter in the morning. That's the point. I want to know known when the minimum has reached a point of inflection.

If I was trying to balance convenience with overall data, I'd have two separate graphs, one with results first thing in the morning, and one with right before bed. But I'm hoping not to get that obsessed with data.

Also, fwiw, this particular low point was mid afternoon, after waking up from a nap.

Anonymous said...

Ha! That link you included is great, I imagine you to have a number of sources where you find such things.

Erin