Friday, March 02, 2012

Holy shit weight gain

In the long term, weight gain will be good.  I dropped from about 149# to around 126#-127# over a roughly 8 month period.  Not good.  Losing a little bit of extra fat is one thing.  But at that level, I was losing muscle mass, and starting to look seriously emaciated.  (I'm 5'9")  Potential further weight loss from chemo (and side effects) has been a big worry of mine.  (Yes, I realize I'm currently very close to Oaksterdam.)

From early Thurs AM to early Fri AM (so including a good chunk, but not all, of the chemo), my weight shot up about 7#.  I didn't believe it, as it was a different scale, so I said get the other scale.  Same result.

The daily weighing (am I just a piece of meat?) isn't until the early morning hours (also the time of the daily blood draw), but I was a bit concerned about the weight gain, so I asked to be weighed this night anyway. So now it's been only about 17.5 hours, and I've put on *another* 10#.  Again confirmed on both scales.

Obviously this is nearly all water weight.  They're purposefully pumping me full of lots of fluids, partly to try to prevent kidney damage from the chemo drugs.  But still, this is a HUGE differential.  Have I really taken on 7L more of fluid than I've expelled?  I suppose this can somewhat be calculated by looking at my charts, minus the unknown figures of how much I've eaten and drank, but that could be estimated.  The nurse is contacting the doctor now to discuss further.

2 comments:

dingdingwikki said...

They said not to worry.

I'm putting on water weight, it will pass, just not all yet.

They're very closely monitoring my vital signs, and if there starts to be any problem, they'll no.

So nothing much lost, except that now I'm getting to bed an hour later than I wanted, which won't change the hour that they come in in the morning to weight me (again) and draw blood. Oh well, there are far worse things to worry about.

dingdingwikki said...

Dammit, does blogger really not let you edit comments, only original posts? This isn't facebook for friggin sake.

I obviously do know the difference between "no" and "know."

But now I really need to put the computer down and get some sleep.