Monday, January 03, 2011

flickr

I've been doing a decent job of taking digital pictures over the past few years, but I've been doing a somewhat less stellar job of organizing them and making them available to others.  I wrote a bunch of homebrew scripts that I had been using for making web based albums, and a fairly small subset of my photos have been up at http://richandlorien.org/pictures/ courtesy of these.

I have been meaning for quite some time to do some work improving those scripts, but I never can seem to find the time.  And with Dylan's arrival, I am finally forced to admit that it will probably never become a high enough priority.

Enough people I know seem satisfied with flickr as a photo sharing tool that I've decided to give it a try.  My flickr account is dingdingwikki.  My sets and photostream are respectively available at:
If you already have a flickr account, feel free to send me your info and/or add me as a contact.

If you do not have a flickr account, one is not required to see (most of) my pictures, but you might want to consider getting one anyway.  Having a flickr account will allow you to comment, tag, etc.  And while the vast majority of my pictures are publicly available, this is already not 100% true.  Also, I may in the future only make the high resolution originals available to my contacts.  Note that a basic flickr account is free.  (You only have to pay if you want a pro account, which I did, since I quickly hit the 300 MB monthly upload max on the free account.  I decided that unlimited uploads and unlimited storage and usefulness for distributing high resolution originals was worth $25/year.)

There will continue to be blog posts (with selected pictures) here, and I will continue to post quick stuff and snapshots on facebook, but for the time being I will be using flickr for more serious photo management.

So far I started at Dylan's birth and have caught up to the present.  It will take a bit of time to go through several years worth of digital photographs and get them edited and captioned and uploaded as well.  Eventually, but not in the near future.  Maybe someday I'll scan in film negatives, but I don't actually have that many of them from my adult life.

No comments: