Thursday, December 27, 2012

Wait and see

Not much news from my oncologist appointment today.  The hospital discharge papers summarize what my condition was as simply "atypical pneumonia".  No cultures have come back positive, so there's really nothing specific to point out as being wrong with me currently.  My auto neutrophil count is almost normal, just a little bit low.  It's lower than it was when I was discharged, but that was only a little bit after I stopped taking drugs to boost it, so that's not that worrisome.  We've decided to take a wait and see approach.  I'm going to resume weekly blood work and weekly oncology visits.  If things get worse, or don't continue to slowly get better, we'll decide where to go from there.  (Possibilities include having my next PET/CT scan early -- after 3 months rather than 6; or having another bone marrow biopsy -- the last one was before treatment.)  But for now we're not going to do anything else.

One bit of good news is that apparently neutropenia even months after my particular type of chemo for my particular type of cancer (late-onset neutropenia, or LON), is not uncommon.

I do continue to feel more functional most of the time.  One weird thing is that I seem to be very sensitive to getting enough to eat throughout the day.  If enough time goes by and I haven't eaten enough, I get really really tired.  Not hungry, just fatigued.  So I really need to keep this in mind, and don't necessarily rely on three meals.  I had been like this at some earlier point in treatment (I don't remember when offhand).  I'm not sure why it's returned.

I'm going to try tomorrow with another yoga class.  I have more reason to believe that this one will actually happen.  We did a little mini practice at home last night.  Very gentle, but I am a little sore from it regardless.

1 comment:

Vive said...

Sorry we haven't been following along to be there to offer support! Sounds rough, what you've been going through. I guess treatment was just harder on the body than anyone prepared you for? In any case, we're really sorry you've been under the weather. Hope you've felt much better in the five days since you wrote your last post. Happy New Year to you and Lorien and Dylan. Here's to a MUCH easier year ahead! Love, Neal and Vive