Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The smoking!

In the last post, I remembered that there were 3 reasons Rich and I preferred France, but I had forgotten what #3 was, so I just threw in the language thing, but I just remembered.

The real list was:
1. Public toilets
2. Tap water
3. No smoking in bars and restaurants!!

While the French have the reputation of being walking chimneys, they passed a law a few years back forbidding smoking in public places indoors. So our sojourn there was mercifully free of smoke. When we got to Belgium we were assaulted by smoke everywhere we went, which sucks as a tourist because your limited clothing supply quickly becomes repulsively malodourous.

I think it wouldn't have bothered me as much years ago before I became used to smoke-free environments, but I've become weak and spoiled in my old age.


2 comments:

tm said...

I really noticed the reeking smell on my clothes after walking through a souk in Jerusalem. The smoke that seems to be prevalent all over the country becomes concentrated in the narrow market channels. I'm all for smoke-free souks (hookahs excepted).

Anonymous said...

Agreed on all three!