Friday, April 10, 2009

Happy Passover

We upheld tradition and had a very small seder tonite, for the second night of Passover. Lorien and myself, plus we invited one other person over (Leah). We tried to keep it somewhat low key, unlike the massive Penthouse seder from a few years back.

But we did get a bit adventurous on the food. The majority of the dishes were experiments, trying things for the first time -- from the lamb shank (if you need one for the seder plate, why not try serving it as the main course?) to the homemade matzo (Lorien is overjoyed that she now knows what her grandmother served with chicken soup), to the horseradish. I suppose I've made the charoseth before, but even that I experimented with a bit. And I'm intrigued that the American version isn't the last word in charoseth -- I didn't have the chance to try other variants, but maybe next time...

It felt a bit wasteful to print out entire haggadahs for what was a fairly abbreviated seder, so we went all high tech and just each used a laptop to read from a pdf.



4 comments:

tm said...

What, you weren't afraid the charoseth would drop onto your keyboards and jam up your laptops?
Not to mention matzoh crumbs' notorious ability to turn up EVERYWHERE.

dingdingwikki said...

re: laptops

My laptop is an XO (shown in the ebook configuration in the pics on our blog), and one of the reasons I bought it was because it's rugged.

Lorien's old ibook G3 has seen so much abuse and food remants over the years -- I don't think one more instance would make that much of a difference.

The third laptop is one from my work. Which has also proved to be reasonably rugged, an older Thinkpad. And which I really should return to work before we leave on vacation...

So no, I guess we weren't too worried.

Dorothy said...

What a high tech seder! And the food all sounds delicious and quite unique.

Happy Passover

Judy said...

Someday there'll probably be holographic haggadahs at the seder table (with acknowledgments to George Lucas). Till that day and for all your pesachs, may the Passover Force be with you.